Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kiss a few frogs...

There's an old fable that you have to kiss a few frogs to find a prince, (in my case, a princess. Actually, I already found my princess, but it's a cute saying anyway).

Watching the Dr. Oz show daily searching for worthwhile information is my moral equivalent of kissing frogs. But today, I must admit, I was moved to tears by his show about anorexia. Anorexia is an illness that usually afflicts young women, but it can affect both genders and people of any age.

Today's show included women in their 30s at the terminal end of fighting the disease and younger women heading for serious trouble. It also included a segment on a gentleman who got the support he needed and a bashing of a website operator who seems to empower the sickness and a movement called Pro-Ana.

Avowedly not a fan of Dr Oz's, and recognizing that displaying women with severe anorexia on television may be somewhat sensationalistic, I nevertheless must applaud Dr. Oz and his show today for highlighting the dangers this disease poses and for offering support to today's guests in clear trouble. I believe in the principle that if you save a single life, you save a whole world, and I was delighted to see people in clear pain get much needed professional help.

I wish more of his shows focused on offering practical and meaningful solutions to the real problems people face. If they did, I could become a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment