Sunday, July 29, 2012

Another Benefit of Wild Salmon

To say I am a wild salmon fan would be an understatement. The more I learn about it, the more excited I get. The other day I wrote about how I was in heaven consuming it in the great Northwest.

Here's another reason (for some a caution) to ingest wild salmon. Interestingly, I just learned about this not very well known benefit.  It's why I say you can never stop pursuing knowledge.

The omega-3 fatty acids in Salmon, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, 20 carbons and 5 double bonds), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, 22 carbons and 6 double bonds), in addition to their positive anti-inflammatory, cholesterol lowering, and brain health effects, also have apparent anti-coagulant benefits that can prevent blood clots.

For most people that's a really good thing to have a natural source of blood thinning as protection against heart attacks and strokes. However, for people on anti-coagulants such as Coumadin, aspirin, Plavix, etc. this may be problematic. If you are on any anti-coagulant(s) and commonly consume salmon, my favorite food, please check with your doctor to determine if your medication needs to be adjusted.

Do not take fish oil pills for this purpose because they are not processed similarly in the body. Flax seeds, which also contain the α-linolenic acid (ALA, 18 carbons and 3 double bonds) omega-3 fatty acids are also noted to have similar benefits.

This is not intended as medical advice and consulting with your own physician is always advised.

No comments:

Post a Comment